Translation tools are numerous out there. Some are quite simple to use and have become industry-standard software, while very specialized localization software may require more time to learn and make it possible to realize very technical translation activities.
Translation agencies typically use a dedicated translation memory software and require that their translators use the same software and return files in two distinctive formats, cleaned and uncleaned. Why is that so, and what does it mean? Uncleaned files are bilingual files in which the tagging remains. This allows the translation agency to edit the documents returned by the translator and then clean the documents to obtain a correct translation memory that can be reused for further projects. Cleaned files are usually asked to make sure that the documents can be properly cleaned by the translation software.
BeTranslated presents on this page a series of translation tools commonly used by freelance translators and translation agencies alike. We use many of these programs for our daily translation and project management related tasks.
- Practicount and Invoice – word count software for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPerfect, HTML and PDF
- Acronym Finder – Find out what over 310,000 acronyms & abbreviations stand for
- I18nGuy – website for Internationalization, Localization, Standards, and Amusements
- TRADOS – platforms for multilingual content management and localization.
- Memsource – Online CAT and Project management tools
- Déjà Vu – a powerful and customizable computer-aided translation system.
- Star – software for globalization and localization
- Systran – machine translation software
- SDLX Interactive Translation System – translation and localization tools.
- FreeBudget – freeware text-counting and budgeting tool for .rtf, .doc and .txt files.
- RC-WinTrans – translation software for Windows resource files and Windows applications.
- OpenTag – Localization tools downloads
- Restorator – UI editor for Windows Programs.
- Search and Replace – fast search and replace utility for Windows.
- Transword – Transit, Termstar, Dutch E-dictionaries.
- WebBudget – text-counting and budgeting tool for HTML files and projects
- Smartlink – language and translation software for English and Russian
- Wordfast – translation memory software 100% Trados compliant
- UWS SEL – good collection of translation related links
- Translation rates converter
- Directory of Translation Dictionaries – Lexicool.com is one of the most comprehensive directories of bilingual and multilingual dictionaries on the Internet
- Multilingual Software Store – Dictionary, Language, Translation Software
- Lingobit Localizer – program for software localization
- LingvoSoft – the joy of understanding. Great line of language-learning, dictionary, translation and localization software products for download. Over 45 languages, implementing the superb word databases, developed by ECTACO.
- Systran Translation Software -Translate over 30 languages with Systran software. Translate Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Japanese, Korean, and other languages.