Why learn English? This question is almost never asked, as the answer is so obvious.
English is indeed the most widely used language in the world. It is the language of business, tourism and diplomacy. Whether you are attending an international meeting or looking for a better job, speaking and understanding English is indispensable.
English is the national language of 106 countries in the world and French ranks second with 47 countries.
Here are some interesting facts about English:
- There are currently more than one billion people who are in the process of learning English.
- More than 400 million speak English as their native language and one-fifth of the world population can speak English with varying degrees of skill.
- Surprisingly, there are more English speaking people in China than in the United States of America!
- Did you know that about 80% of Internet home pages are written in English, while those in the second most used language of German make up 4.5% and those in Japanese come in third place with 3.1%?
- ESL go.com offers free English grammar and vocabulary classes based on various topics like sports, the stock market, music, and more. ESL quizzes and English practice message boards are also available as well as resources for language teachers.
Grammar and vocabulary sites
- Vocabulary Builder – Build vocabulary with flash cards, test and games, for SAT, TOEFL, GMT, GRE and general vocabulary
- Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation – An easy-to-use reference guide and workbook including rules, explanations, quizzes, and answers. Perfect for business professionals, professors, teachers, students, and homeschooling families. Take an online quiz, join the Q&A Club, get editing help, read Jane Straus’s articles, or register for her monthly newsletter.
- Grammar cheat sheet for bloggers
- Efl.net is an English learning website offering songs, tools, and stories to listen to with exercises helping you to improve your grammar and knowledge of idioms and proverbs.
- English Courses on DVD – English grammar, punctuation, and essay writing courses on DVD
General language links
- Fonetiks.org – Pronunciation guides to 10 languages
- English Jet offers educational English courses at language schools in Madrid, Barcelona, and Marbella, and at other accredited locations in the UK.